My agricultural country

It was a poignant statement about a mother from a daughter, when asked the question - what is the enduring  memory of your mother  and the daughter replies"

More than anything, I would like to remember her when she was not working at all.  When I slept, she was working and when I woke up she was working" 
 

What a statement about a farmer who has committed suicide ( yes I havent written as a woman farmer - because I dont believe the gender has anything to differentiate between the work you do as a human being).  Of course, Sudha mani, the daughter didnt get any state compensation, because the Indian society doesn't recognize woman as a farmer, but only as a farmer's wife.  dont get me wrong, this article is not about the gender inequality.  This article is about the sorry plight of Indian farmers across India, who commit suicides day in and day out.   I was most touched by this documentary in NDTV and wanted to share it within my circle, as nowadays we talk about so many things in India and the sum quoted in each of these are mind blogging ( I honestly admit I dont know how to write down the figures that these people are talking about how many zeroes will be there), but there are these people - including a Progressive Farmer of the year 2004 award winner taking this extreme steps.   This is from a land where there are 311 Rupee Billionaires and also the 4th Placed country in the World Happiness Index - My incredible India.
Titled Nero's Guest"  this documentary by Deepa Bhatia is about the Farmers and their flight


Over the past 10 years, more than 200,000 farmers in India have committed suicide. This drama has had a huge impact on the rural community, but the matter is not being taken up by the authorities or the media. Journalist P. Sainath makes it his business to increase awareness of the fate of the victims (both the farmers and their families) by publishing their stories. He exposes the distressing lack of social justice in India and the hypocrisy of neoliberalism. He paraphrases Tacitus for his somewhat apathetic highly-educated audience: Nero burned prisoners to provide light at night. His guests stood alongside and watched.

Read more at:
http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/documentary-24x7/nero-s-guests-by-deepa-bhatia/204932



I dont know what we can as citizen to help these people, but I am sure that something will come out from me and my fellow sympathizers about the social cause.

It makes me more determined to try out something and I am praying to God to show me the way to do this, as I have always been guided by HIM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr Natarajan - The Indusrial Queens Maker

Nathdwara, Rajasthan

IT SME FORUM