Tamil New Year's day

It is so funny that in Tamil Nadu, we celebrate the Telugu New year, Malayala New Year etc during the month of April, while the Original Tamil New Year, which was celebrated on Chitirai 1st, has been shifted to January 16th because that is when, according to the Party which is running the government of Tamil Nadu says is the beginning of Tamil New Year. So what does this make of chitirai and other tamil months to be - are they all different tamil months. What gives the right for a party to change the practice of majority of the poeple. Dont the people have a say on all these things. It is not just the declaration of holiday on the Old Tamil Years day, but also stopping the practice of special puja on that in the temples. When someone who says openly that they dont believe in God, and then goes ahead and changes things in the temples because it is under the H R& CE, what does it mean. No every channel and papers are careful not to utter the word Tamil New Year, but say it only as Chitrai Thirunal. Why this hypocracy. Doesnt the Government have the responsbility to get the consent of the people and not the party MLA in these matters which are followed by the masses.

The Atheists in Tamil Nadu will sound funny - they dont believe in the festivals of the Hindu religion saying that there is No GOD, but will partake merrily in the festivals of Muslim and Christians, which two religions believe in GOD with more fervour. So there is Muslim God and Christian God and No Hindu God, isnt.

Also I have a question - these same people go Garland all the Heroes who are dead now, on their Birthday and death day. Why because all these Heroes lived in the contemporary times. A child which is born about 10 years before will follow what his parents say that So and So was Hero. For example, I havent seen Gandhi or Nehru but I have heard of them and when the whole country pays its respect to these leaders I also do so with reverence for the great deeds done by these people, based on what my parents have told me.

Same is the case with Rama and Krishna and all other Gods, somewhere, sometime millions or thousands or hundreds of years ago, my ancestors have witnessed the deeds done by these people and so have started doing Hero worship and I am simply following it by revering these people. so how can the Atheist claim that what I am doing is not based on intelligence.

My request is dont call me a fool just because I am following what my parents have taught me which they have learnt from their parents and their forefathers. Am I not respecting your intelligence to do what you want to you in your own way. Same way, dont interfere in my practices. With this request, I am signing off this post

Comments

D. Chandramouli said…
I totally agree with your sentiments. What is Chithirai Thirunal suddenly? For ages, April 14 has been our Tamil New Year Day, and I find no reason to change my customs and beliefs, whatever the Government might declare. I live in Jakarta for decades now, and every one of our Tamil friends here have exchanged Tamil New Year Greetings today. In a similar vein, I am vehemently opposed to changing the well known names of popular states or cities. I still like my 'Madras Nalla Madras' - Chennai sounds odd to me. Same thing goes for Mayuram, now Mayiyaladurai; Bangalore, now Bangaluru, Bombay, now Mumbai, Calcutta, now Kolkata -simply crazy! No productive improvement except to show that politicians in power have achieved something for the people. Fooling the people, I would say. How people like Rajaji, Kamaraj and others led simple lives - none of their children got any special favor or privilege. Now dynastic rule in a democracy, in almost all states. I am not against changes, if they mean some upliftment in the living standards of people. I also love my Tamil language, and am a great admirer of poets like our Bharati and Kannadasan. Rather a long post, but I felt like venting out my feelings.
Sarada said…
Chandramouli

It is not a long post, but was only echoing the feelings of many people. My entire grouse is Why should the Governement stop reading the Panchagam in the temple. It is for the people to decide and not the government isnt.

Popular posts from this blog

Dr Natarajan - The Indusrial Queens Maker

Nathdwara, Rajasthan

IT SME FORUM